Monday, April 20, 2009

BAD rest!!

That's right BAD rest! Not BED rest it's BAD rest! OH my goodness I will put myself into a coma before I let someone put me on bed rest EVER AGAIN!

Alright here's the story folks! And you're going to get the long version!

LAST Saturday (the 11th) I started getting a pain in my side, it was a pretty mild pain, I'd had pains like this before and they'd just gone away and wasn't a big deal at all so I didn't think much of it. Chance and I were running errands and doing a few things for the house that day and it was getting progressively worse and worse and more and more painful and I started fevering worse and worse. We called around to a few doctors offices that night to see what they recommended and they were all saying if you go in just go to the ER because they'll be able to run all of the tests yada yada. I told him no I was fine and we'd go tomorrow if I still felt like this (because I did NOT want to hear 'well it'll go away just take some Tylenol and let us know if it's not gone by Tuesday - what you TYPICALLY hear when you go to the doctor). Well I woke up every half hour that night I was completely miserable and in so much pain, but with a strong/stubborn Morris upbringing I didn't tell Chance and I stuck it out! Sunday we went to his mom's for Easter breakfast and some family fun, I managed to survive the morning and Chance and I went straight home when we were done. I was in bed most of the day and just thinking about another night like the one before and after much hounding from Chance I decided to go to the ER. I was terrified, it was my first trip to the ER so I said a little prayer that they would be able to figure out what was wrong and that I wouldn't have to wait too long to see the doctor. Well Heavenly Father loves me and listened to my prayers! When we got there we waited 15 minutes, there was only one person before me and there were probably 6+ groups of people that came in right after we did.

They ran a couple tests and found out I had a kidney infection and a urinary track infection (surprisingly I was relieved to KNOW what it was! another great blessing from my Heavenly Father), so they stuck me with an IV pumped me with 1 liter of fluids to flush my kidneys, antibiotics to kill the infection, and morphine for the road. But the morphine was about as much as you would give an infant who's allergic to morphine and it didn't do a thing! I must say it was a very disappointing morphine go. The doctor that saw me didn't give me any prescriptions because I was pregnant so they called my OB to let them know what was going so they knew, and also in case they wanted to see me. Well they said I HAD to come in first thing Monday, no way around it, had to come in.



So at my appt Monday they did another test of my urine and verified what we discovered the night before at the ER. They wanted to do an ultrasound of my kidney to see exactly what was wrong but said I might have to come back in an hour or two but the wonderful ultrasound tech (she was so sweet and I'm very grateful to her) said she would do it though it was her lunch break then. So we went in and the left kidney looked great but my right wasn't so pretty, even I could see it wasn't in top shape. It was swollen and backed up with fluids and very very ugly. So my doctor said she just wanted me to rest and get better, which i took as don't stress yourself out at work when you go in tomorrow... I was very mistaken.. She said NO work no no no work I must relax and rest all week. So she put me on 7 days of bed rest. They gave me a prescription antibiotic, iron pills (that has nothing to do with my kidney), refilled my head ache medicine, and gave me some percasets for the pain.

Well it was a miserable week! I could hardly move because of the pain, I had no appitite but I'm much better now! I have a follow up appt today with my OB to be 'officially' taken off bed rest and I'm hoping for good news! I feel much better so I'm sure that's what I'll hear but I will keep you posted!
OH and all of this was caused by our sweet baby Hadley pinching off my tubes and not letting my kidney drain into my bladder which caused the fluids to back up into my kidneys as well as bacterias causing the infection. Surprisingly I didn't feel the UTI at all, the kidney stole most of the thunder... all of the thunder!

And little Hadley girl was a trooper through all of this! She was happy and kicking at her mom through the whole ordeal!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you and baby Hadley are doing well. Its so nice to have you back at work too :)

    ReplyDelete